Unitarian Universalist Justice Florida Achievements 2015:--done with your help and support. THANK YOU!
- Sponsored our 2015 Annual UU Justice Florida Legislative Day in Tallahassee March 23-24, 2015. 37 people attended, including Unitarian Universalists from 11 UU congregations in Florida plus interfaith partners and representatives from 5 Move to Amend affiliates https://movetoamend.org/affiliates-list. We opposed bills allowing guns on campus and fracking in Florida, and supported civil citations rather than criminal penalties for juvenile first offenders. The first two bills died in committee, and civil citations passed.
- Planned and delivered a series of three Social Justice Empowerment workshops in the three UU Clusters in Florida, with the morning interactive session “Free the Giant Within” presented by UUJF Vice President Rev. Bud Murphy, and afternoon programming including a presentation on Commit2Respond by Irene and Bob Keim, plus two workshops selected by each cluster. West Central Cluster--St. Petersburg, January 31, 2015; Northeast Cluster, Orlando, March 21, 2015; and Southeast Cluster, North Palm Beach, May 2, 2015.
- In conjunction with the Florida Council of Churches, planned the “2015 Florida Interfaith Climate Conference: Bridging Spirituality, Healing and Action” in Longwood, Florida April 10-11, 2015. Unitarian Universalists acted in a supportive role, with the lead taken by the Florida Council of Churches. 80 people attended, 70 of whom were UUs.
- Continued to develop interfaith and secular partnerships with such organizations as the Florida League of Women Voters, Florida Immigrant Coalition, South Florida Climate Change Compact, UU Service Committee, UU Ministry for Earth, UUs for a Just Economic Community, and the Standing on the Side of Love Campaign.
- Held our Second Annual Meeting at the 2015 Florida District Assembly April 18, 2015. 26 UUs attended from 13 congregations in Florida and participated in decision-making about our core issues: Climate Change, Escalating Inequality, and Justice for All.
- Publicized the Second Florida Earth Festival April 18 and their Faithify fundraising effort. (Unfortunately, this event conflicted with our UUJF Annual Meeting, which was our primary focus.)
- Inspired 28 UU congregations out of 46 in Florida to become Congregational Members of UU Justice Florida, or support us via Share-the-Plate, or both. Honored both Congregational and Individual memberships on our website here: http://www.uujusticefl.org/get-involved/contributors
- Continued to operate with an all-volunteer Board and volunteer Coordinator.
- Devoted 100% of funds to activities to build statewide UU participation.