Are organizations in your area launching voter education campaigns?
PICO launched their "We Vote Together" campaign on Tuesday, August 2.
Do you have a PICO chapter in your community? Can you connect with them?
Here is the update from SEIU: Read More
The Sarasota UU Church installed a Black Lives Matter banner in front of their church Sunday May 29. Ward Pallotta, Chair of the Social Justice Committee, says "Local statute limits ground banners to a 2-week display period, so it will be displayed periodically. Read More
Unitarian Universalist Justice Florida Achievements 2015:--done with your help and support. THANK YOU!
- Nancy Nordyke Shelley (Mosaic, Orange City): Worked on Justice for All, mass incarceration, fatal encounters with police, and reforming the justice system, with both Florida and national teams. Serves as liaison to UU congregations statewide for Justice for All issues.
- Steve Jens-Rochow (River of Grass, Davie): Recruited UUJF signups at Southeast Cluster Meetings. Published an article in the Florida Gay News, August, 2015 on mass incarceration and the Voting Rights Restoration amendment. Attended and reported on climate change workshop in Ft. Lauderdale on Risk and Resilience in Complex Coastal Systems. Participated in conference calls on the Syrian refugee crisis. Worked on Move to Amend initiatives. Served as Vice President of the Southeast Cluster.
- Alice Primack (Gainesville): Facilitated Gainesville congregational projects for Climate Justice and Escalating Inequality by Project Teams: Earthkeepers, Neighborhood Project, Family Promise, Hunger Backpack Program. Brought together interfaith gatherings on social justice, climate justice, and a Pachamama symposium. Serving on interfaith boards of ACTION network and Florida Coalition for Peace and Justice, and Working Group for Earth Charter Initiative. On planning group for 2016 Florida Interfaith Climate Conference.
- Gerald Goen (Tarpon Springs): UUJF Secretary. Won all eight of his liaison congregations as UUJF Congregational Members or Share the Plate contributors (!) Reached out to Tarpon Springs City Council on environmental issues. Was our UUJF immigration liaison and represented UUJF at the Florida Immigrant Coalition (FLIC) Congress.Recruited UUJF signups at Cluster meetings and meetings with congregations. Served as Vice President of the West Central Cluster.
- Jan Booher (Boca Raton): Led South Florida Climate Compact activities and Second Florida Earth Festival, worked on 2016 Interfaith Climate Conference, represented UUJF at dedication of solar panels at UU Church of Brevard, and recruited sign-ups at Cluster meetings. Led the effort for her UU Fellowship of Boca Raton, which won a $30,000 grant for climate initiatives. Served as President of the Southeast Cluster.
- Robert Keim (UU Church in the Pines, Weeki Wachee): Presented forums or Sunday services on Commit2Respond at nine UU congregations and four conferences. Serves on the board of Audubon Florida. Is active in UU Ministry for Earth, of which his wife Irene is President.
- David Johnson (Jacksonville): Worked with the Jacksonville Coalition for Equality for a Human Rights Ordinance protecting sexual orientation in housing, employment and public accommodations. Led Black Lives Matter programs. Attended annual vigil at Ft. Bennington, GA to close the School of the Americas. Created the new UUJF Legislation Tracker for key state and federal legislation.
- Martha Hartgering (Orlando): UUJF Treasurer. Photographed events at UUJF Legislative Day, UUJF Annual Meeting, and the 2015 Interfaith Climate Conference. Created a new website for reporting congregational social justice activities called Justice Florida UU https://justfluu.wordpress.com/ Served as President of the Northeast Cluster.
- Rev. Bud Murphy (Ludington, MI): UUJF Vice President. Published regular updates of our UU Justice Florida brochure. Moderated UUJF monthly conference calls. Designed and delivered morning sessions for three statewide “Free the Giant Within” workshops at Florida Cluster meetings.
- Kindra Muntz (Venice): UUJF President. Sent periodic e-blasts and action alerts to engage UUs statewide and recruit new members. Updated UUJF outreach statistics monthly. Prepared all materials for monthly UUJF teleconferences. Coordinated UUJF Legislative Day, UUJF Annual Meeting, and the 2015 Florida Interfaith Climate Conference, with interfaith partners. Recruited Congregational Memberships. Updated UUJF website, Facebook page and Twitter feeds. Led Move to Amend efforts among UU congregations statewide. Wrote CSAI proposal “The Corruption of Our Democracy” that was submitted by the UU Congregation of Venice and is in contention to be the 2016-2020 Congregational Study Action Issue. Read More
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Nov. 18, 2015 Read More
- Statewide Canvass Kickoff--Saturday, August 6
- 16 Days to Go--as of July 20th!!
- Sarasota UU Church installs Black Lives Matter banner
- Be sure to vote on the proposed CSAIs at GA 2016
- Let us know your good work
- Redistricting Victory for All Floridians
- Invitation to the 2016 Florida Interfaith Climate Assembly
- UUJF Achievements 2015
- UUJF--Individual Board Member efforts--2015
- UU Fellowship of Boca Raton awarded $30,000 grant for environmental justice efforts