UU JUSTICE FLORIDA LEGISLATION TRACKER
Follow the results of key 2017 state bills in the Florida legislature now, and start preparing for the 2018 Legislative session.
VOTING RESTORATION AMENDMENT: (statewide)
Florida needs 1 MILLION petitions signed by Florida voters by December 31, 2017 (to ensure 766,200 validated petitions will be approved by Supervisors of Election statewide by Feb. 1, 2018) to put this on the ballot in November, 2018.
Let's repeal Florida's lifetime ban on ex-felon voting! Florida disenfranchises over 1.5 million people.
Let's say YES to second chances! See the 6-minute Samantha Bee video to understand the issue.
1. Print and sign the petition here:
2. Sign up to host a petition-gathering event or find an event here:
Help gather petitions in your community and mail them to
Floridians for a Fair Democracy, Inc.
3000 Gulf-to-Bay Blvd., Suite 503
Clearwater, FL 33759
3. Print and email this
Voting Restoration Amendment quickslip (321 KB)to your friends OUT-OF-STATE and request that they ask people in their congregations and social circles if they have friends or relatives IN FLORIDA who can ALSO sign the petition and mail it in. Let's restore people's right to vote after they have paid their debt to society. Together, with the help of Floridians and concerned friends nationwide, we can do this!
See the resolution in support of the Voting Restoration Amendment passed by the UU Justice Florida board:
Voting Restoration Amendment Resolution (44 KB)
SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE (national)
With the fate of health care in America still uncertain, now is a good time to press for single payer health care. Sign up to learn about this issue and receive e-alerts from Physicians for a National Health Care Program here:
For health care and other critical issues before Congress, join your local Indivisible group to learn the most effective ways to hold elected officials accountable.
1. Learn about the movement:
2. Find an Indivisible group near you, or start one!
See the resolution of the UU Justice Florida board in support of the strategies of Indivisible:
Indivisible--Resolution of UU Justice Florida (44 KB)
CLIMATE CHANGE RESILIENCE -- (statewide)
See the progress on our major project on Climate Change Resilience:
Rising Together: Temperature, Water, Health and Strength
JOIN US TO IMPACT PUBLIC POLICY TOGETHER
SIGN UP for our ACTION ALERTS. http://www.uujusticefl.org/action-network/sign-up Be sure to include your ZIP +4 so we can send alerts that apply to YOUR state reps. Become a rapid responder when needed. The more rapid responders we have, the greater our impact. You can leave messages at legislators' offices in the evening and on weekends as well as during office hours. Calls are often 9 to 1 in opposition to policies that reflect our values. Our elected leaders need to hear from us!
- IN-DISTRICT VISITS: Visit your state and federal officials in their district offices to convey your concerns. Go with interfaith partners and representatives of other organizations. The more who attend, the greater the impact. Meetings with staff are important as well as meetings with Representatives or Senators.
- Find your Florida State Representative here: http://www.myfloridahouse.com/
- Find your Florida State Senator here: http://www.flsenate.gov/ ,
- Find your U.S. Representative here: http://www.house.gov/ ,
- Find your U.S. Senators here: http://www.senate.gov/
LEGISLATIVE DAYS: Come to Tallahassee with us for our Annual Spring UUJF Legislative Days. In 2018 they will be January 22 and 23 because of the midterm elections in November. Here were the details for our 2017 Legislative Days: http://www.uujusticefl.org/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=92976
On Monday evening, after our welcome reception and dinner at the UU Church of Tallahassee, seasoned representatives of the Florida League of Women Voters train us in the tools and skills of civic engagement and the workings of our state government. Our UU Justice Florida Action Network Legislative Coordinator updates us on current bills.We meet Unitarian Universalists and interfaith partners from all over the state, and go in teams Tuesday morning representing our UU Justice Florida Action Network to visit legislators on key issues. This annual event is recommended for voters of all ages. Families are encouraged to join us. Scholarships are provided to defray costs of your overnight stay.
- STATEWIDE CONFERENCES: UU Justice Florida partners with other organizations and faiths to present special statewide conferences. The Interfaith Climate Action Network Assemblies are of increasing importance. The 3rd Annual Florida Interfaith Climate Action Network Assembly "Floridan: Water is Our Life" was held in Orlando April 28-29, 2017. See www.interfaithflorida.com
- PETITION DRIVES: Our UUJF Action Network participates in petition drives for specific efforts with other organizations:
- Our ONGOING PETITION DRIVE is for Move to Amend (http://www.movetoamend.org/). 22 UU congregations in Florida have passed a resolution for Move to Amend. (See our Move to Amend page for the complete list.) All are encouraged to do so. Congregations of all faiths are encouraged to do so as well. TEN City Councils in Florida have passed resolutions. The boards of the UUA, UUSC and UUJEC are endorsers. See https://movetoamend.org/organizations
ONE COUNTY, Alachua County, passed a non-binding referendum for Move to Amend in November, 2014 with 72% of all voters in favor! Could your county be next??
- Congregations, organizations, city and county councils and states nationwide are passing resolutions, ordinances and ballot initiatives for Move to Amend, as the grassroots movement grows to amend the Constitution to establish that only human beings have constitutional rights and money is not political speech and can be regulated. This is a non-partisan effort that is for the benefit of all people and the planet. Move to Amend has a 10-year path to achieve this. Order your copy of the 10-year Strategic Plan and other materials for Move to Amend here. The time is now to build support. See the progress nationwide here: https://movetoamend.org/resolutions-map
- VOTER REGISTRATION DRIVES: One of the most important things Unitarian Universalists can do to support our principles and purposes is to work together to register voters. This is nonpartisan work. All our efforts are needed to register voters and encourage all voters to VOTE--in local, county, state and federal elections--to participate in our democracy.
MARCHES, RALLIES, WITNESS EVENTS: Participate with others in marches, rallies, and witness events to make your concerns visible. Learn about the Indivisible Movement to reach members of Congress. See the short video about Indivisible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-CHZdTmBA4&t=10s
Read the Indivisible Guide: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
Consider how the work of the Indivisible movement can apply to state, county and local officials as well. REMEMBER: WE CANNOT ENDORSE CANDIDATES, BUT WE CAN AND MUST HOLD ELECTED OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE. Meet with your State Senator and Representative, or their staff. Attend local city council and county commission meetings and speak out on important issues. Speak truth to power, guided by our UU principles.
LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: See the progress of bills we are following on our Legislative Tracker: http://www.uujusticefl.org/action-network/take-action
Let us know if you have additional suggestions of statewide legislation on our core issues. The challenge is to zero in on critical issues to have the greatest impact together, as we empower the voice of our Unitarian Universalist values in the public arena.
Ask your U.S. Representative to Co-Sponsor House Joint Resolution 48 (HJR 48) here:
- SOCIAL MEDIA OUTREACH: To help spread the word on key actions for social justice, please LIKE our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/uujfactionnetwork , JOIN our public Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/uujusticeflorida/
and FOLLOW US on Twitter at https://twitter.com/uujusticefl . Move to Amend supporters are encouraged to LIKE these Fb pages as well: