UU Justice Florida Legislative Tracker
Use this tracker link to follow key state bills filed in the 2019 Florida legislature that will be in session March through April, 2019.
Here's a good handout for your State Representative and Senator and their staff when you make introductory visits to their local offices. It describes UU Justice Florida, our core issues, concerns and related bills.
SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE (national)
With the fate of health care in America still uncertain, now is a good time to press for single payer health care. Sign up to learn about this issue and receive e-alerts from Physicians for a National Health Care Program here:
For health care and other critical issues before Congress, join your local Indivisible group to learn the most effective ways to hold elected officials accountable.
1. Learn about the movement:
2. Find an Indivisible group near you, or start one!
See the resolution of the UU Justice Florida board in support of the strategies of Indivisible:
Indivisible--Resolution of UU Justice Florida (44 KB)
CLIMATE CHANGE RESILIENCE -- (statewide)
See the progress on our major project on Climate Change Resilience:
Rising Together: Temperature, Water, Health and Strength
JOIN US TO IMPACT PUBLIC POLICY TOGETHER
SIGN UP for our ACTION ALERTS. http://www.uujusticefl.org/action-network/sign-up Be sure to include your ZIP +4 so we can send alerts that apply to YOUR state reps. Become a rapid responder when needed. The more rapid responders we have, the greater our impact. You can leave messages at legislators' offices in the evening and on weekends as well as during office hours. Calls are often 9 to 1 in opposition to policies that reflect our values. Our elected leaders need to hear from us!
- IN-DISTRICT VISITS: Visit your state and federal officials in their district offices to convey your concerns. Go with interfaith partners and representatives of other organizations. The more who attend, the greater the impact. Meetings with staff are important as well as meetings with Representatives or Senators.
- Find your Florida State Representative here: http://www.myfloridahouse.com/
- Find your Florida State Senator here: http://www.flsenate.gov/
- Find your U.S. Representative here: http://www.house.gov/
- Find your U.S. Senators here: http://www.senate.gov/
LEGISLATIVE DAYS: Come to Tallahassee with us for our Annual Spring UUJF Legislative Days. In 2019 they will be March 11-12. See all details and Register here. This annual event is an educational experience not to be missed! We have two additions to our plans in 2019 for enhanced effectiveness.
- STATEWIDE CONFERENCES: UU Justice Florida partners with other organizations and faiths to present special statewide conferences. The Interfaith Climate Action Network Assemblies are of increasing importance. The 5th Annual FL-ICAN! Assembly will be in Parramore, FL near Orlando February 1-2, 2019. See the video at https://vimeo.com/306943128.
- PETITION DRIVES: Our UUJF Action Network participates in petition drives for specific efforts with other organizations:
- One ONGOING MULTI-YEAR PETITION DRIVE is for Move to Amend (http://www.movetoamend.org/). 22 UU congregations in Florida have passed a resolution for Move to Amend. (See our Move to Amend page for the complete list.) All are encouraged to do so. Congregations of all faiths are encouraged to do so as well. TEN City Councils in Florida have passed resolutions. The boards of the UUA, UUSC and UUJEC are endorsers. See https://movetoamend.org/organizations
ONE COUNTY, Alachua County, passed a non-binding referendum for Move to Amend in November, 2014 with 72% of all voters in favor! Could your county be next??
- Congregations, organizations, city and county councils and states nationwide are passing resolutions, ordinances and ballot initiatives for Move to Amend, as the grassroots movement grows to amend the Constitution to establish that only human beings have constitutional rights and money is not political speech and can be regulated. This is a non-partisan effort that is for the benefit of all people and the planet. Move to Amend has a 10-year path to achieve this. Order your copy of the 10-year Strategic Plan and other materials for Move to Amend here. The time is now to build support. See the progress nationwide here: https://movetoamend.org/resolutions-map
- VOTER REGISTRATION DRIVES: One of the most important things Unitarian Universalists can do to support our principles and purposes is to work together to register voters. This is nonpartisan work. All our efforts are needed to register voters and encourage all voters to VOTE--in local, county, state and federal elections--to participate in our democracy.
MARCHES, RALLIES, WITNESS EVENTS: Participate with others in marches, rallies, and witness events to make your concerns visible. Learn about the Indivisible Movement to reach members of Congress. See the short video about Indivisible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-CHZdTmBA4&t=10s
Read the Indivisible Guide: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
Consider how the work of the Indivisible movement can apply to state, county and local officials as well. REMEMBER: WE CANNOT ENDORSE CANDIDATES, BUT WE CAN AND MUST HOLD ELECTED OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE. Meet with your State Senator and Representative, or their staff. Attend local city council and county commission meetings and speak out on important issues. Speak truth to power, guided by our UU principles.
Ask your U.S. Representative to Co-Sponsor House Joint Resolution 48 (HJR 48) here:
- SOCIAL MEDIA OUTREACH: To help spread the word on key actions for social justice, please LIKE our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/uujfactionnetwork , JOIN our public Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/uujusticeflorida/
and FOLLOW US on Twitter at https://twitter.com/uujusticefl . Move to Amend supporters are encouraged to LIKE these Fb pages as well: