1. 2017 Legislative Tracker: follow key 2017 state bills in the Florida legislature here:
UUJF Legislative Days 2017--handout (62 KB) NOAA grant application--Librarian Recruitment information (897 KB)
2. 2017 Legislative Days --handout
3. MAJOR PROJECT
Commitment information and letter of interest
Current project DRAFT summary:
UUJF Legislative Days 2017--handout (62 KB)
NOAA grant application--Librarian Recruitment information (897 KB)
NOAA grant application--DRAFT project summary 03-07-17 (16 KB)
4. Florida SE Cluster--Justice Saturday
Justice Saturday (1936 KB)
JOIN US TO IMPACT PUBLIC POLICY TOGETHER
SIGN UP for our ACTION ALERTS. http://www.uujusticefl.org/action-network/sign-up Stay informed. Become a rapid responder when needed. The more rapid responders we have, the greater our impact. Your responses, along with those of other UUs and our interfaith and secular partners statewide, regionally and nationally, impact our legislators. You can leave messages at their offices in the evening and on weekends as well as during office hours. Calls to legislators are often 9 to 1 in opposition to policies that reflect our values. Our elected leaders need to hear from us!
- IN-DISTRICT VISITS: Visit your state and federal legislators in their district offices to convey your concerns. Go with interfaith partners and representatives of other organizations. The more who attend, the greater the impact. Meetings with staff are important as well as meetings with Representatives or Senators.
- Find your Florida State Representative here: http://www.myfloridahouse.com/
- Find your Florida State Senator here: http://www.flsenate.gov/ ,
- Find your U.S. Representative here: http://www.house.gov/ ,
- Find your U.S. Senators here: http://www.senate.gov/
LEGISLATIVE DAY: Come to Tallahassee with us for our Annual Spring UUJF Legislative Day, March 20-21, 2017. See what we offer and register here: REGISTRATION DEADLINE: MARCH 16 http://www.uujusticefl.org/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=92976
There seasoned representatives of the Florida League of Women Voters will train us in the tools and skills of civic engagement and the workings of our state government. We will meet Unitarian Universalists and interfaith partners from all over the state, and go in teams to visit legislators on key issues. This special annual event is recommended for voters of all ages. Families are encouraged to join us. Scholarships are provided to defray costs of your overnight stay.
- STATEWIDE CONFERENCES: UUJF partners with other organizations and faiths to present special statewide conferences. Join us for the 3rd Annual Florida Interfaith Climate Assembly in Orlando April 28, 2017. NOTE CHANGE IN DATE. Register after May 1 at www.interfaithflorida.com
- PETITION DRIVES: Our UUJF Action Network participates in petition drives for specific efforts with other organizations.
- Voting Restoration Amendment: (See http://www.faithinflorida.org/#!live-free-campaign/c1mqh to download the petition.) The first hurdle has been passed: The Florida Supreme Court approved the language of the petition. Now the drive is on to gather petitions to place this on the ballot in 2018.
- Our ONGOING PETITION DRIVE is for Move to Amend (http://www.movetoamend.org/). 22 UU congregations in Florida have passed a resolution for Move to Amend. All are encouraged to do so. Congregations of all faiths are encouraged to do so as well. TEN City Councils in Florida have passed resolutions. The boards of the UUA, UUSC and UUJEC are endorsers. https://movetoamend.org/organizations
ONE COUNTY, Alachua County, passed a non-binding referendum for Move to Amend in November, 2014 with 72% of all voters in favor! Could your county be next??
- Congregations, organizations, city and county councils nationwide are passing resolutions, ordinances and ballot initiatives for Move to Amend, as the grassroots movement grows to amend the Constitution to establish that only human beings have constitutional rights and money is not political speech and can be regulated. This is a non-partisan effort that is for the benefit of all people and the planet. Move to Amend has a 10-year path to achieve this. The time is now to build support. See the progress nationwide here: https://movetoamend.org/resolutions-map
- VOTER REGISTRATION DRIVES: One of the most important things Unitarian Universalists can do to support our principles and purposes is to work together to register voters. This is nonpartisan work. All our efforts are needed to register voters and encourage all voters to VOTE--in local, county, state and federal elections--to participate in our democracy.
MARCHES, RALLIES, WITNESS EVENTS: Participate with others in marches, rallies, and witness events to make your concerns visible. Learn about the Indivisible Movement to reach members of Congress. See the short video about Indivisible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-CHZdTmBA4&t=10s
Read the Indivisible Guide: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
Consider how the work of the Indivisible movement can apply to state, county and local officials as well. REMEMBER: WE CANNOT ENDORSE CANDIDATES, BUT WE CAN AND MUST HOLD ELECTED OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE. Meet with your State Senator and Representative, or their staff. Attend local city council and county commission meetings and speak out on important issues. Speak truth to power, guided by our UU principles.
LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Follow bills we are following on our Legislative Tracker: http://www.uujusticefl.org/action-network/take-action
Let us know if you have additional suggestions of statewide legislation on our core issues. The challenge is to zero in on critical issues to have the greatest impact together, as we empower the voice of our Unitarian Universalist values in the public arena.
Ask your U.S. Representative to Co-Sponsor House Joint Resolution 48 (HJR 48) here:
- SOCIAL MEDIA OUTREACH: To help spread the word on key actions for social justice, please LIKE our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/uujfactionnetwork , JOIN our public Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/uujusticeflorida/
and FOLLOW US on Twitter at https://twitter.com/uujusticefl . Move to Amend supporters are encouraged to LIKE these Fb pages as well: